Pages

Sunday 23 September 2012

[TIPS] Chrysanthemum: A Touch of Dry Brush



Wet in wet and glazing are watercolour techniques I use the most, but sometimes an object requires a different technique. This Chrysanthemum flower has hard edged/ broken pattern with striking colour on each petal. For it, I need a touch of dry brush technique.

Dry brush is the opposite technique to 'wet in wet'. It involves more pigment, less water and a completely dry paper.

My tips:
1. Make sure the paper and the background colours completely dry.
2. Make a fairly dark mix with just a little water.
3. Load the brush and use kitchen roll/ tissue paper to remove excess fluid.
4. Flatten the end of the brush to separate its hairs slightly.
5. Drag the brush along the area you want then gently lift it off before the end.
6. To have a fully patterned petal's tip, use paper or masking fluid to cover white paper.
7. Establish the wanted effect (e.g. scratchy look) on other paper. It is good to exercise a just pressure and dryness. Once you get what you want, work on the actual piece.

8 comments:

Vicki Lee Johnston said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Your work is breathtaking and I love to see the work in progress. This is a wonderful blog and your English is perfect! Well done xx

Eunike Nugroho said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@Vicki, thank you for your comment and supports for my 'young' blog. Blogging will force me to practise my English more :D

thea said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

MAGNIFICENT!! I've been searching for an email contact for you to try to seduce you into a little project for Spoonful magazine, but can't seem to find your address anywhere :( If it's something you'd be interested in, please email me at spoonfulzine@gmail.com asap, and we'll get you involved :)

Beautiful work!!! very inspiring :)

thea.
xx
(www.spoonfulzine.com)

Eunike Nugroho said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hi Thea! Thanks for leaving a message here. I just sent you an email, please take a look. Cheers :)

Alena Lang Phillips said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Your work is wonderful! Thank you for sharing your technical tips.

Eunike Nugroho said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Alena, thank you for your kind comment :)

Patricia Hardjopranoto said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Eunike, found you via Spoonful. Anthea is my past client and I noticed that you've been in involved in her 'Flower' project which I'm also involved in. I would like to correspond with you via email if possible. Could you please send a quick line to : patricia@yummycupcakes.com.au
(I'm Indonesian, if that makes you comfortable language-wise).

Dianne said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hi Eunike,
I sent a query email via another site without success. I wish to use one of your images for a book cover, the garlic, for a book on soups. My books are on Amazon, just go to books and put in The Culinary Library. If you get this note can you contact me at digramp@gmail.com
Many Thanks Di