Pages

Tuesday 15 July 2014

Rose Petals: Playing with New Colours

Finally I've got the reason to try some new paints I bought long time ago. The reason was a bunch of rose petals of Sheffield Botanical Garden. Quite simple objects to play with colours.

Before I painted them, I compared the petals' colours side by side with my radial colour charts/wheels. I singled out the closest colours by rotating them out from the stacks.

The new paints I used:
1. Daniel Smith Quinacridone Red for the red splotch of white round petal (see the middle left petal in the final work).
2. W&N Red Deep for the colour mix of the middle bottom red petal. It has a wide tonal range and spread in wetted area smoothly.
3. W&N Scarlet Lake for the colour mix of the reddish-orange petal in the center. A very vibrant colour!
4. W&N Quinacridone Magenta
5. W&N Permanent Magenta.

Sadly, I failed to digitalise the painting :( I tried to scan it several times but the vibrant reds kept losing the details and made ugly, uneven gradations. This is what I can share from my camera. Enjoy! :)

4 comments:

Inky Leaves said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

These are GORGEOUS!!!!!! OMG - I love the colours and the veins - how on earth did you capture such thin veins and deep colours?

renatabarillipainter said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Bellissimo !!! Love your brilliant colours.

Vicki Lee Johnston said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

It's so beautiful Eunike and a wonderful way to paint without having to put too much information in the botanical artwork. I love to do little studies and paintings like this - with a baby it's something you can manage for sure!
I love lots of colour and I adore roses!
Enjoy .. x

Eunike Nugroho said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@Jessica, umm...hard to answer. Many times, I work according to my intuition to imitate the real subject, not really methodical :P thank you for your generous comment.

@Renatabarillipainter, grazie! :)

@Vicki Lee Johnston, thank you for pointing it out. Many times, I don't understand my own reason when I pick a subject. I guess the simplicity of these petals encouraged me to paint them in my limited time. xx